radwinter


Radwinter History

Radwinter Villagers 1

email
email 

Radwinter History homepage


Shops and Trades

Within living memory Radwinter boasted two windmills, two blacksmiths, a hardware shop, a saddler, a telegraph office, two butchers, as well as one who visited, two bakers, two general stores, two brewers, several carpenters, two wheelwrights, five carriers, four sweetshops, a tobacconist, a fishmonger, two cobblers and a village tailor, a milkman, an undertaker, a garage and numerous pubs, off-licences and alehouses. It had its own registrar of births marriages and deaths, a relieving officer to help the poor, a vaccination officer and a school attendance and inquiry officer. There was also a resident village policeman and postmaster. During the middle of the nineteenth century, the Somelite van would would act as a traveling hardware store.


Today most of this has passed away although the principal industry of farming remains.There is now just one pub, two others closing during the nineteen eighties and nineties and the post office in the twenty-first century. Two builders and a carpentry firm ply their trade from the village. Of the two public houses shown here, The Plough and The Red Lion, The Plough still plies its trade, offering good ales and wines and a high quality restaurant.


bread delivery to the red lion fishmonger
Bread delivery to The Red Lion
The Fishmonger

harryackerandwife harrychapmanwwii2
Harry Acker and his wife outside his house in Radwinter. The picture is from an old postcard.He is probably Henry Acker, the son of Thomas & Sarah Acker, who was baptised on 18th May 1823. He married Ann Clayden Andrews on 23 December 1843 and was buried on 22 April 1911, aged 88 - all at Radwinter. Ann Clayden Acker, ne้ Andrews, was baptised on 3rd of June 1827, the daughter of Edward and Mary Andrews. Harry was Sexton & Gravedigger for many years and an old soldier

On the Reverse of the post card the publishers details are given: “Brookside Series, J W Smith, Brookside, Ashdon The inscription on the reverse is as follows: “Harry Acker & Wife who lived in the village & was Section (sic) & gravedigger for many years an old Soldier.”
Harry Chapman, gardener and grave digger, during the Second World War.It was Harry who told the story of
the ghost of the young girl at The Plough, now in the Radwinter Collection.

mill end forge c 1910 Plough Inn 1910
Mill End Forge c. 1910

The Plough Inn c. 1910

radwinter school and windmill 1911 radwinter mill barn
Radwinter windmill
Radwinter Mill barn

Radwinter windmill

The village was self sufficient for grinding its own flour and there were three windmills, possibly four, in the village at one time, one owned by Samuel and Harriet Andrews in Princes Well, one owned by John Bragg in School Lane, where the cricket pavilion now stands on the recreation ground, and one owned by Henry Moore next to The Mill House at Mill End on the Ashdon Road. The last windmill is shown here It was probably the second to be built on the same site in what came to be know as School Lane. It was taken down by Hatton who farmed Wills Aley before John Goddard. Its barn, which still stood until the late twentieth century, is also pictured on this site .


top