radwinter

Radwinter History

Radwinter Villagers 2

email
email 

Radwinter History homepage


powconcert
princes well c 1910
POW (Prisoners of War) concert scene

The picture shows a concert given by the German Prisoners of War at Radwinter North Camp, in the grounds of the requisitioned Radwinter Rectory, now Radwinter Manor.The artist who painted the scenery shown, was Karl Weschke, the prisoner who became the leading artist of the Cornish School and who stayed on in England dying in 2005.


Princes Well c. 1910
radwinter school c. 1900 radwinter school 1901
Radwinter school c. 1900

Radwinter School 1901

Radwinter School

Previous to the year 1850 the only Day Schools in Radwinter, as in other country villages, were three or four Dames Schools held in cottages in different parts of the Parish, each consisting of from 12 to 20 children, most of whom were girls, as the boys went to work with their fathers, sometimes at as early an age as five; and, as a result, many of them grew up without being able either to read or write. There was, however, a flourishing Sunday School, which used to meet at the Vicarage, where the elder girls often repeated the Collect, Epistle, and Gospel for the day, almost without a mistake.

In the year 1854 Jonathan Bullock Esq., of Faulkbourn Hall, gave to the Parish the site in Limber on which the present School Buildings stand. The money required was got together by the Rector from his parishioners and friends; the Committee of Council on Education contributing 360 on the condition that the School should always be open to visits from Her Majesty's Inspectors.

ruth underwood at the switchboard
the red lion c. 1900
Ruth Underwood operating the Radwinter Telephone
Exchange during the Second World War


The Red Lion c. 1900

baptist chapel

The Radwinter Chapel was built in 1862 on a part of Potash Farm at Mill End, Ashdon Road. It was the last remaining of the three Radwinter Chapels, the other two being Radwinter Independent 1850 (demolished), and Radwinter Primitive Methodist 1851 (demolished). The Baptist Chapel wass certified as a place of worship under the Places of Worship Act, 1855. The Mission came from the Ashdon Chapel which was then in the Cambridgeshire Baptist Association. The Congregationalists also used the Chapel, led by a section or the Wiseman family, but this was well into the twentieth century. The Chapel was built of traditional Victorian brick with sash windows, under a slate roof, and there was a small burial ground. Inside there were simple benches and a central pulpit, all on a brick floor. The wheel came full circle in the Century when the last service was held on 15th July 1997 with subsequent conversion to a private house.

top